Competitive Analysis - what makes the VeggieWall different from other indoor gardens?
Tip: zoom in on your browser for a closer look. See full write-up in our Blog
VeggieWall PRE-ORDER SALES STARTING AT $435.00 (while supplies last)
1. I'm not a gardener, is this for me?
We get it, you kill plants. Our research and design involved testing the VeggieWall with confessed plant-killers. And, YES, they grew veggies with ease in the VeggieWall. Our technology is your Green Thumb.
We designed the VeggieWall especially for people who don't have time to garden, or the garden know-how. The VeggieWall's automated LED lights take care of your plants "sun" needs, and the self-watering system automatically cascades organic nutrients to your plants. The VeggieWall is run by a small computer so you don't need to worry about how to grow food, just enjoy fresh food at your fingertips.
"I've never grown food before. It's been super easy... It's all automated so not a lot I need to do on a day-to-day basis." -Steve (Whistler, BC)
2. I am a gardener, is this for me?
Gardeners love the VeggieWall! Extend your growing season year-round. In the winter grow veggies that need the warmth, such as tomatoes, peppers, and fresh herbs... or fresh strawberries in January! In the spring use it to kick start seedlings for transplant. During hot summer months, grow cool crops like cilantro and lettuce, that would bolt in the heat. Year-round, easy access, to herbs for cooking are always a bonus and one of everyone's favourites!
"I like the fact that I can have veggies or herbs all year round just by walking across the kitchen. I fall short in never fertilizing my plants, so I really like the fact that you supplied me with organic nutrient water and your system basically feeds itself." - Peg (White Rock, BC)
"Literally getting this much basil and a pepper daily right now!" -Christina (Haines Junction, Yukon)
3. Where will I put the VeggieWall, do I have the space for it?
We designed the VeggieWall to fit in small spaces and add to your home decor, a living, breathing wall of edible plants. All you need is a small wall space, an electrical outlet, and an open area (no narrow hallways). No sun is required, and in fact we suggest keeping the VeggieWall out of direct sunlight. The LED's provide all the full spectrum light your plants need, and at 4 cents a day, it's very economical.
"It’s edible wall art, it supplies me with organic produce, I love to see things grow." -Amber (Squamish, BC)
Dimensions 12 plant VeggieWall:
- 12" wide X 26.5” high X 7” deep.
- The LED light extends out as far as 12” so the VeggieWall should not be mounted in an area like a narrow hallway.
Dimensions 24 plant VeggieWall:
- 12” wide x 43.5” high by 7” deep.
- The LED lights extend out as far as 12” so the VeggieWall should not be mounted in an area like a narrow hallway.
"We live in a townhouse and don't have the space for a big garden. In our VeggieWall we grow a little bit of everything... I love being able to grow food." -Jennie (Squamish, BC)
4. What health benefits do I receive from the VeggieWall?
The fresher your food, the more essential nutrients, enzymes, and vitamins it contains for a healthy body and mind. For example, leafy greens loose 50-90% of their vitamin C within 24-48 hours after harvesting. The VeggieWall allows you to pick food as you need it and maintain 100% of its nutrients.
We use only organic and heirloom seeds because we want you to feed your body the best possible food. You can also use your own seeds.
"I'm not very good at buying vegetables, and I've tried to come up with solutions like farmers markets and CSA in the summer, but there's no easy winter solution. So I figured if I had greens growing on the wall beside the kitchen, I'd be a lot more likely to eat it." -Steven (Whitehorse, Yukon)
5. How much do I save?
The larger your VeggieWall, the more you will save. Weekly harvests of greens like lettuce and basil alone on a 24 plant VeggieWall will save you $572/year. The price ranges depending on what you grow and whether you have the 12 Plant VeggieWall or the 24 Plant VeggieWall, avg's are between $500-$1000 respectively. With that savings, it is easy to pay off your VeggieWall in its first year. When you grow your own food, you don't have food waste or packaging waste.
Have you had organic greens and herbs rot before you can use them all? Because plants are loosing their nutrients the moment they are picked, the longer greens are on the grocery shelf and in your fridge, the less health benefits you are getting from them. The VeggieWall indoor garden, allows you to harvest straight from the wall to your plate. It's fresh food at your fingertips."The VeggieWall is convenient as possible for townhouse living where we don't have gardening space in the backyard. Convenience, cost savings, and also being able to have our girls growing up knowing how food grows is pretty cool too." -Derek (Squamish, BC)
"We are making pesto weekly and eating spinach daily from ours. The peppers take longer to ripen but are soooo tasty when they do." -Christina, Northern Canada
The organic nutrients from the VeggieWall, ensures your veggies are packed with life-giving nutrients.
6. What are the requirements?
- Meets the dimensions above (see FAQ #3)
- $14.60 per year in electricity (according to BC Hydro rates)
- 15 degrees Celsius (59 F) minimum. Your home is already heated to the perfect temperatures for growing food. Some cool plants, like lettuce and cilantro can handle cooler temperatures if you are thinking of a cooler part of your home for your VeggieWall.
- Limited, to no, exposure to direct sun light. The VeggieWall is made to grow food indoors, the LED light provides all the UV your plants need for growing.
- Refilling the reservoir with organic nutrients once per week.
7. What plants can I grow?
Check out our organic and heirloom seeds packages, which we are adding to regularly. Here are some examples of what you can grow in a VeggieWall:
- cherry & heirloom tomatoes
- heirloom and pickling cucumbers
- leafy greens (lettuce mixes, kale, spinach, arugula, swiss chard, mustards, choys, to name a few)
- herbs (such as varieties of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, cilantro, parsley, mint, lavender, etc.),
- many varieties of sweet & hot peppers
- peas, beans, small zucchinis and squashes.
The VeggieWall does not grow root veggies such as: carrots, beets, onions, garlic, turnips, etc. We provide seeds that grow smaller varieties of plants that work best with the VeggieWall.
8. What are the benefits of growing your own food?
- Fresh food tastes better. WAY better! You know why? Because it is packed with nutrients! (see FAQ #5).
- You save money (see FAQ #6)
- Scientists estimate agriculture contributes between 11% to 14% of green house gases globally. With drought, severely depleted aquifers, harmful effects of pesticides, climate change, and increasing world population, it is more important than ever, that we grow even a little bit of our own food.
- 45 % of veggies go to waste in countries like US and Canada. If each household grew even a small amount of their own food, it would reduce the burden on our planet. "The carbon footprint of food produced and not eaten is estimated at 3.3 gigatonnes of CO2, meaning that if food waste were a country it would rank as the third highest national emitter of greenhouse gases after the US and China." https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/12/cutting-food-waste-enough-for-everyone-says-un
- How far did your meal travel to get to your plate? The average North American meal travels 1500 miles from farm to table. Growing our own food is a significant solution to reducing our impact.
9. What are the benefits of hydroponics?
NASA put hydroponics to the forefront with their Research and Development; however, hydroponics are used widely by commercial growers/greenhouses.
What is it? Essentially the nutrients the plants would absorb from soil is added to water, so no soil is required. Our breakthrough vertical cascade technology supplies the plants with an organic nutrient water and plants grow in recycled glass.
- Growth rates are typically 2-3 weeks faster with hydroponics because the plants do not need to put time into developing complex roots systems to seek out nutrients like they do in soil.
- Saving water. The VeggieWall recirculates water, using 2/3 less water than an outdoor garden.
- 365 Days of indoor growing goodness. Your home, office, school, is already heated and the perfect temperature for growing food year-round. The VeggieWall's LED grow lights provide the full spectrum of the sun.
- Recycled glass instead or soil = no mess!
10. Is there humidity?
No. It is not a greenhouse, it is no different than having indoor house plants. Ya, ok, but waaaay cooler! Cook your friends dinner using fresh ingredients from your VeggieWall. The VeggieWalls patent pending design allows your wall to breath allowing air to flow behind it. The material is ABS plastic, safe for growing food, and waterproof.
11. How often do I add fresh water?
For optimal growing you should add new water once a week. Water remaining in the tank will no longer have a pH beneficial to your plants growth, and should be drained using the stainless steal spigot. Any excess water you have drained from the VeggieWall can be used to water your house or outdoor plants.
12. Does the water become stagnant or have an odor?
The nutrients is odorless. The plants themselves retain very little water, because they grow in recycled glass instead of soil. The VeggieWall is designed to recirculate the water, this is essential for oxygenation, which is essential for root health. Like a babbling brook, our vertical nutrient cascade technology provides a healthy environment for your plants and your home.
13. How long will a VeggieWall last?
Probably longer than you and I. The ABS plastic will last a lifetime if it is not exposed to direct sunlight. We believe in making quality products, we will not be a part of the disposable economy. Pass your VeggieWall on to your grandchildren! The LED lights have a 2 year manufacturers warranty, but life expectancy of LED's is 7-10 years and are affordable and replaceable.
14. How much electricity does it require/my hydro bill?
According to BC Hydro rates of $0.0787/hour:
- a 6 Pod Veggie-Wall: 0.486 kWh per day = $0.02 cents/day to run your Veggie-Wall or $7.30/year and a 24 plant VeggieWall, just over $14/year.
- Compared to your laptop: $105/year, or lightbulbs: $131/year. (Stats from BC Hydro: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2012/kilowatt-hour-explained.html)
- Go Greener: Attach your Veggie-Wall to a Lithium Battery & Solar panel!
15. What is the Veggie-Wall made of and is it safe?
It is made in Vancouver BC, it is made of ABS, and yes it is safe!
16. What about pests?
The VeggieWall is sterile and does not contain pests. However, pests can be introduced from your houseplants, and outdoor plants. We highly recommend ensuring your house plants are not infected, usually with microscopic bugs like spider mites. Treat houseplants with a safe insecticide or soapy water prior to setting up your VeggieWall. Additional measures like washing your hands and changing your clothes when handling other plants prior to handling your VeggieWall with ensure your VeggieWall stays pest free Although these preventative measure ensure your VeggieWall does not get infected, we sell sticky strips and a safe insecticide should you need to treat your plants.
Ready to Purchase a VeggieWall? SHOP NOW
Did we answer your questions?
If not, please CONTACT US, we are happy to hear from you :)