FAQ's - Indoor Gardening with the VeggieWall
Competitive Analysis - what makes the VeggieWall different from other indoor gardens?
Tip: zoom in on your browser for a closer look. See full write-up in our Blog
*Prices are retail not special offers or sales.
1. I'm not a gardener, is this for me?
We get it, you kill plants. Part of our research and design involved testing the VeggieWall with people that were confessed plant-killers. And, YES, they had SUCCESS! Our technology is your Green Thumb.
Other indoor gardens require you to take a lot of extra steps. We took out all the steps and designed the VeggieWall to take care of your plants for you. Our automated LED lights take care of your plants "sun" needs, and the self-watering system automatically cascades organic nutrients to your plants. The VeggieWall is run by a small computer so you don't need to worry about how to grow food, just enjoy fresh food at your fingertips.
"I've never grown food before. It's been super easy... It's all automated so not a lot I need to do on a day-to-day basis." -Steve (Whistler, BC)
2. I am a gardener, is this for me?
Gardeners love the VeggieWall! Extend your growing season year-round. In the winter grow veggies that need the warmth, such as tomatoes, peppers, and fresh herbs... or fresh strawberries in January! In the spring use it to kick start seedlings for transplant, and in the hot summer months, grow cool crops like cilantro and lettuce, that would bolt in the heat. Year-round, easy access, to herbs for cooking are always a bonus and one of everyone's favourites!
"I like the fact that I can have veggies or herbs all year round just by walking across the kitchen. I fall short in never fertilizing my plants, so I really like the fact that you supplied me with organic nutrient water and your system basically feeds itself." - Peg (White Rock, BC)
"Literally getting this much basil and a pepper daily right now!" -Christina (Haines Junction, Yukon)
3. Where will I put the VeggieWall, do I have the space for it?
We designed the VeggieWall to fit in small spaces and add to your home decor. All you need is a small wall space, an electrical outlet, and an open area (not good for narrow hallways). No sun is required, and in fact we suggest keeping the VeggieWall out of direct sunlight. The LED's provide all the "sun" your plants need, and at 4 cents a day, it's very economical.
"It’s edible wall art, it supplies me with organic produce, I love to see things grow." -Amber (Squamish, BC)
Dimensions 12 plant VeggieWall:
- 12" wide X 26.5” high X 7” deep.
- The LED light extends out as far as 12” so the VeggieWall should not be mounted in an area like a narrow hallway.
Dimensions 24 plant VeggieWall:
- 12” wide x 43.5” high by 7” deep.
- The LED lights extend out as far as 12” so the VeggieWall should not be mounted in an area like a narrow hallway.
"We live in a townhouse and don't have the space for a big garden. In our VeggieWall we grow a little bit of everything... I love being able to grow food." -Jennie (Squamish, BC)
4. What health benefits do I receive from the VeggieWall?
The fresher your food, the more essential nutrients, enzymes, and vitamins it contains for a healthy body and mind. For example, leafy greens loose 50-90% of their vitamin C within 24-48 hours after harvesting. The VeggieWall allows you to pick food as you need it and maintain 100% of its nutrients.
We use only organic and heirloom seeds because we want you to feed your body the best possible food.
Check out this short TED Talk on how the food you eat effects your brain
Watch this videos to get a better understanding of how important it is to eat organic food: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPirDWfxfKc
Think your food is organic? Many “organic” labelled produce still use pesticides: http://livingtraditionally.com/a-dirty-little-secret-your-organic-strawberries-arent-really-organic/
"I'm not very good at buying vegetables, and I've tried to come up with solutions like farmers markets and CSA in the summer, but there's no easy winter solution. So I figured if I had greens growing on the wall beside the kitchen, I'd be a lot more likely to eat it." -Steve (Whitehorse, Yukon)
5. How much do I save?
The larger your VeggieWall, the more you will save. Weekly harvests of greens like lettuce and basil alone on a 24 plant VeggieWall will save you $572/year. The price ranges depending on what you grow and whether you have the 12 Plant VeggieWall or the 24 Plant VeggieWall, avg's are between $500-$1000 respectively. With that savings, it is easy to pay off your VeggieWall in its first year. And no food or packaging waste!
We've all experienced plastic containers of expensive organic greens and herbs rotting before we can use them. Because plants are loosing their nutrients the moment they are picked, the longer greens are on the grocery shelf and in our fridge, the less health benefits we are getting from them. The VeggieWall indoor garden, allows you to harvest straight from the wall to your plate. It's fresh food at your fingertips."The VeggieWall is convenient as possible for townhouse living where we don't have gardening space in the backyard. Convenience, cost savings, and also being able to have our girls growing up knowing how food grows is pretty cool too." -Derek (Squamish, BC)
"We are making pesto weekly and eating spinach daily from ours. The peppers take longer to ripen but are soooo tasty when they do." -Christina, Northern Canada
The organic nutrients from the VeggieWall, ensures your veggies are packed with life-giving nutrients.
6. What are the requirements?
- Meets the dimensions above (see FAQ #3)
- $14.60 per year in electricity (according to BC Hydro rates)
- 15 degrees Celsius (59 F) minimum. Your home is already heated to the perfect temperatures for growing food. Some cool plants, like lettuce and cilantro can handle cooler temperatures if you are thinking of a cooler part of your home.
- Limited, to no, exposure to direct sun light. The VeggieWall is made to grow food indoors, the LED light provides all the UV your plants need for growing.
- Refilling the reservoir with organic nutrients once per week.
7. What plants can I grow?
Here are some examples of what you can grow in a VeggieWall:
- cherry & heirloom tomatoes
- heirloom and pickling cucumbers
- leafy greens (lettuce mixes, kale, spinach, arugula, swiss chard, mustards, choys, to name a few)
- herbs (such as varieties of basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme, dill, cilantro, parsley, mint, lavender, etc.),
- many varieties of sweet & hot peppers
- peas, beans, small zucchinis and squashes.
The VeggieWall does not grow root veggies such as: carrots, beets, onions, garlic, turnips, etc. We provide seeds that grow smaller varieties of plants that work best with the VeggieWall.
8. What are the benefits of growing your own food?
- Fresh food tastes better. WAY better! You know why? Because it is packed with nutrients! (see FAQ #5).
- You save money (see FAQ #6)
- Scientists estimate agriculture contributes between 11% to 14% of green house gases globally. With drought, severely depleted aquifers, harmful effects of pesticides, climate change, and increasing world population, it is more important than ever, that we grow even a little bit of our own food.
- 45 % of veggies go to waste in countries like US and Canada. If each household grew even a small amount of their own food, it would reduce the burden on our planet. "The carbon footprint of food produced and not eaten is estimated at 3.3 gigatonnes of CO2, meaning that if food waste were a country it would rank as the third highest national emitter of greenhouse gases after the US and China." https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/aug/12/cutting-food-waste-enough-for-everyone-says-un
- How far did your meal travel to get to your plate? The average North American meal travels 1500 miles from farm to table. Growing our own food is a significant solution to reducing our impact.
9. What are the benefits of hydroponics?
The 1st hydroponic plants were grow in 1627! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroponics). NASA put hydroponics to the forefront with their Reasarch and Development. It is a widely used by commercial growers/greenhouses.
What is it? Essentially the nutrients the plants would absorb from soil is added to water, so no soil is required. Our breakthrough vertical cascade technology supplies the plants with an organic nutrient water and plants grow in recycled glass.
- Growth rates are typically 2-3 weeks faster with hydroponics because the plants do not need to put time into developing complex roots systems to seek out nutrients like they do in soil.
- Saving water. The VeggieWall recirculates water, using 2/3 less water than an outdoor garden.
- 365 Days of indoor growing goodness. Your home, office, school, is already heated and the perfect temperature for growing food year-round. The VeggieWall's LED grow lights provide the full spectrum of the sun.
- Recycled glass instead or soil = no mess!
10. Is there humidity?
No. It is not a greenhouse, it is no different than having indoor house plants. Ya, ok, but waaaay cooler! You can brag to your friends about the VeggieWall as you feed them a dinner cooked with fresh ingredients fro it! Our design allows your wall to breath. The material is ABS plastic, safe for growing food, and waterproof.
11. How often do I add fresh water?
For optimal growing you should add new water once a week. Water remaining in the tank will no longer have a pH beneficial to VeggieWall growth, but you can use it to water your house or outdoor plants.
12. Does the water become stagnant or have an odor?
The nutrients is odorless. The plants themselves retain very little water, because they grow in recycled glass instead of soil. The VeggieWall is designed to recirculate the water, this is essential for oxygenation, which is essential for root health. Like a babbling brook, our vertical nutrient cascade technology provides a healthy environment for your plants and your home.
13. How long will a VeggieWall last?
Probably longer than you and I. The ABS plastic will last a lifetime if it is not exposed to direct sunlight. We believe in making quality products, we will not be a part of the disposable economy. Pass your VeggieWall on to your grandchildren! The LED lights have a 2 year manufacturers warranty, but life expectancy of LED's is 7-10 years and are affordable and replaceable.
14. How much electricity does it require/my hydro bill?
According to BC Hydro rates of $0.0787/hour:
- a 6 Pod Veggie-Wall: 0.486 kWh per day = $0.02 cents/day to run your Veggie-Wall or $7.30/year and a 24 plant VeggieWall, just over $14/year.
- Compared to your laptop: $105/year, or lightbulbs: $131/year. (Stats from BC Hydro: https://www.bchydro.com/news/conservation/2012/kilowatt-hour-explained.html)
- Go Greener: Attach your Veggie-Wall to a Lithium Battery & Solar panel!
15. What is the Veggie-Wall made of and is it safe?
It is made in Vancouver BC, it is made of ABS, and yes it is safe!
16. Did we answer your questions?
If not, please contact us, we are happy to hear from you. :) email@example.com
17. More interesting reads:
“Food is a key driver of climate change. How our food gets produced and how it ends up on our tables accounts for around half of all human-generated greenhouse gas emissions. Chemical fertilizers, heavy machinery and other petroleum-dependent farm technologies contribute significantly. The impact of the food industry as a whole is even greater: destroying forests and savannas to produce animal feed and generating climate-damaging waste through excess packaging, processing, refrigeration and the transport of food over long distances….” (https://www.grain.org/article/entries/4357-food-and-climate-change-the-forgotten-link).
So what’s our answer: Growing your own food is huge! Eating local is huge! That’s why we are so excited to share Green Thumb Technology with the world! We CAN and ARE making a difference!
Green Thumb Technology Uses 2/3rd less water than traditional agriculture. BC has experienced climate change 1st hand throughout the 2015 summer with drought & unprecedented forest fires in a temperate rainforest. California's drought: https://video-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpf1/v/t42.1790-2/11374944_1078957048781939_236418535_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjM2MSwicmxhIjo1MTJ9&rl=361&vabr=201&oh=9761ed1ad48ff20798fec7655f55329a&oe=55B46E73
Order Your VeggieWall Here:
Have other questions?
Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions. We would love to hear from you! Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or our Contact Us link.